Monday, August 12, 2013

How running helps me feel a part of my community

I love to run, always outside and preferably not on concrete sidewalks.

 


When we met with the Prescott Lakes membership coordinator, she asked about our hobbies. I told her I like to run, and when she pressed me for more hobbies I said I really like to run. Running is more than a hobby; it's how I feel connected with place, a stress-reliever, and a way to meet people and establish friendships. It also allows me to eat pretty much whatever and however much I want.

I brought my running clothes and shoes on our motorcycle trip as we moved from Vermont to Arizona, and ran almost every afternoon after we finished the day's miles. Running in a strange town allows me to get out of the hotel and off the main highway into the quiet side streets, and often I discover a restaurant or breakfast spot along the way.

I started out running in Prescott from our house on the sidewalks. Sidewalks aren't my favorite surface because they make my legs hurt, but I like towns with sidewalks and the opportunity to move around the community safely. Once I knew more about the local traffic patterns, I felt comfortable running in the road on some of the side streets. Then I discovered dirt trails around our subdivision, and I've been exploring the trails and adding them to my morning run. My happiness level increases each time I get off the sidewalk, turn down a different street, run through a new neighborhood.




This morning ran on trails/road to the health club, lifted weights, then ran back home using a different combination of trail and road. I purposefully took the trail to the highest point, where there are petroglyphs depicting the sun. I stopped for a moment at the top, looked around at the unbelievable scenery, slowed my rapidly beating heart (the combination of hills and mile-high elevation takes some getting used to), and trotted off downhill toward home.

Home. The more I run around our community, the more Prescott really does feel like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment