Sunday, August 4, 2013

Living in a house with no furniture

It's the simple things that trip us up.

Breakfast and lunch without pots, pans or cooking utensils is easy:
- yogurt and fruit
- cereal and milk
- peanut butter or ham sandwich
- snacks of string cheese, nuts, crackers, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, apples, bananas, peaches

Dinner is a bit more complicated. We have a microwave and oven, but no pots, pans, or microwave-safe containers. Frozen pizza and a pre-made salad are OK, but not every night. We picked up pre-made meals at Trader Joe's instead of relying on frozen dinners.

We eat meals either standing at the kitchen island or sitting outside on the deck. I lean against a wall, resting my laptop on my lap (I guess that somehow makes sense; I wonder if the person who coined the name 'laptop' was living in a house with no furniture?).  Mike dearly loves music, and listening to his favorites through his phone doesn't give good sound quality, but it's better than me singing.

living room

Living in a basically empty house gives us plenty of time to imagine where we'll put our furniture, what new pieces we want to buy, and how to decorate. We've gone back and forth between making the original dining room into a media room, my office, or a combination media room/office. The local library has a wonderful collection of magazines, and I can hardly believe that we've both started regularly reading decorating magazines and books, looking for fresh ideas.

I used the washer and dryer to launder clothes that we've been wearing for 9 days while riding the motorcycle to Arizona. I let most of my clothes air dry; without a drying rack or clothesline, where do I hang them to dry? The answer:  draped over every towel rod in the bathrooms and laundry room plus hanging over the shower curtain rod in the guest bathroom. It's a good thing we don't have very many clothes because there's limited space for drying.

I guess if we were truly camping, I would hang clothes from the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment